Tuesday 17 February 2009

A good God report!

It is the 17th of February 2009 and a quite significant eventful day ahead of me. Today I need to clock in at the hospital at 8:00 am for a gastroscopy – this means a camera goes down my throat to determine what happened after three chemo treatments and I know God's intervention in my body.

I had a tough time to eat yesterday, knowing that I should not loose any more weight, sometimes just get at one. Then the words of that poem come back to me.
"You are not abandoned
Your spirit...strong and true
And even in your darkest hour
There are friends and loved ones...and My strength to see you through."

In the early morning hours I opened God’s Word and read again Psalm 41 which my friend Lizette, shared with me yesterday when she and her delightful, beautiful teenage daughter visited me.

This is how I perceive God's Word when I open to read it. It is as if my Father has a message for me, speaking to me and this is how He has a conversation with me. His Word – the Bible is my book of life and connection with Him. His Word is a very important part of my life. Now this is what Psalm 41:1-3 says to me today.

1 Blessed is he who considers the poor;
The LORD will deliver him in time of trouble.
2 The LORD will preserve him and keep him alive,
And he will be blessed on the earth;
You will not deliver him to the will of his enemies.
3 The LORD will strengthen him on his bed of illness;
You will sustain him on his sickbed.”

I was very quiet while my husband was driving and praying for me on our way to the hospital. One thing stood out as he prayed: ‘Father we know that you have Elmien in the palm of your Hand and You are in control.’ Seconds later after LeRoux finished praying the mobile rang and it was Elbrie: ‘Mom I want to pray for you.’ Her prayer was thanking God that He is in control and she quoted the words of Psalm 139:13-16 - Again Father was speaking to me!

13 For You created my inmost being;
You knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

Hey, God created me and you so what is there to fear - He promises to watch over us.

After the procedure I slept off the anaesthetic and waited for the doctor to come around and deliver his report.

This was a good God report: The tumour is shrinking and the opening between the oesophageal and stomach widened.

There is no doubt that Jesus has done everything on the cross and with His resurrection for us, we just need to come and take hold of it through believing and reading His Word.

Isn’t this a good time for us, my prayer partners and other friends to praise the Lord and acknowledge His goodness? Many a time God repeatedly assured me in His Word – ‘He will never leave me nor forsake me.’ Precious friends and family this is what He is saying to you as well.
Jesus says in John 14:1
1 “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.

2 comments:

Louwtjie Kotzé said...

Ai Elmien, ons is soooo bly! Ons dien 'n magtige God en niks is onmoontlik vir Hom nie. Ons bid dat die res van die groeisel baie vinniger sal verdwyn as wat enigiemand verwag! xxx

Elmien Cilliers said...

Louwtjie, dit is baie goeie nuus! Our God reigns and I agree with your statement that the rest of it will disappear quickly. I declare that over my body and stand on God's Word which is the only truth-'by the stripes in Jesus' body we are healed'.